This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

A newb Experience - Execution Policy

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:23 PM

First I want to thank you for WTV-MetaRenamer.  It was exactly what I was looking for and I wanted to pass on a couple of my experiences as a NewB to maybe help others just starting out.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit

First I had to find PowerShell.  To run PowerShell it can be found at Start/All Programs/Accessories/Windows PowerShell/Windows PowerShell (x86)

When I first tried to set-ExecutionPolicy Remote Signed I got an error that would not let me change the registry.  You need to Run PowerShell as the Adminstrator.  Right Click on Powershell (see path above) and Run as administrator.  

Next, in the PowerShell command window you need to change to the folder holding the WTV-MetaRenamer.ps1 file (script).  In my case the path was D:/Recorded TV/temp.  PowerShell did not like cd D:/Recorded TV/temp  It needed cd D:/"Recorded TV"/temp

I moved a couple of WTV files into that temp directory, ran ./wtv-metarenamer.ps1 and it worked with no changes to any of the WTV-MetaRenamer files.

Now feeling ambisous I modified the XML file so I could keep the code in the temp file and have WTV-MetaRenamer rename the files in my Recorded TV directory.  Using my experinece in navigating in PowerShell I modified <recordings></recordings> to <recordings>D:/"Recorded TV"/</recordings>  That did NOT work.  PowerShell spit out lots of red error messages that Redirection to 'D:/"Recorded tv"\\Logw0120113102925.txt' failed:  Illegal characters in path.....

I changed the XML file entry to <recordings>D:/Recorded TV/</recordings> and it worked great.

Now maybe I will try writing a batch file to make running the script easier to run.

Thanks again for WTV-MetaRenamer

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:56 AM

There are instructions on how to create a batch file (.bat) in order to run the script in the pdf file which came with the download.  Presumably it's there to make it possible to run it in a scheduled task so that the whole process can be more completely automated.

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:33 PM

@FastM3 - thanks for sharing your experiences.

Given what you've gone through, do you think I need to improve the PDF document that I ship with the script?

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:09 PM
pcolmer wrote:

@FastM3 - thanks for sharing your experiences.

Given what you've gone through, do you think I need to improve the PDF document that I ship with the script?

The guide is very good.  I posted this to add some help for other beginners to help them out.

If you would like I could make some edit suggestions to the guide or even put together a Newb guide or a simple quick start guide if you would like.