v.0.18

Topics: question
Oct 22, 2013 at 5:40 AM
Edited Oct 22, 2013 at 5:41 AM
Hi Thanks for v.0.18!

It definitely solves the problem I had with accessing Ionic.zip.dll.

Trying to run on my burned DVD files, with -whatif, as this would allow me to create an improved text database of all 200+ of my wtv DVD disks. Seems to be working, writes a message
What if: Performing operation "Output to File" on Target "C:\bat\Log_20131022002302.txt".

BUT, when done, no file found in c:\bat, searched all of C: for Log_..., no luck.

I have the complete package copied (with XML dir) to c:\bat, I've added c:\bat to my path.
Using the Powershell "Run as Admin". (And it seems to be working, takes a while to scan files, gather data, what ever).

Is there an config option to avoid "Output to File" and just have "Output to stdout" ?

Any ideas, any further information required?
Coordinator
Nov 18, 2013 at 7:47 AM
I may need a bit more information or context but generally the what if operation just says what it would do and doesn't actually do it.
Is there an config option to avoid "Output to File" and just have "Output to stdout" ?
I'm not sure I understand this question. Are you wanting to stop the script from logging?

Thanks,

Philip
Dec 2, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Hi Phillip

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been on vacation for the last 10 days of Nov, and preparing for it before that. Somehow I missed that you responded.

To rephrase the problem:
  1. I understand that your normal use case is to run wtvmetarenamer on a directory filled with .wtv files, and that your program reads the meta-data stored in the wtv file as well as making calls to external databases to create a new filename for each .wtv file. So that Thriller_WCIUDT3_2013_11_19_01_59_00.wtv becomes (something like) Thriller_S3_E5_1960-09-13_The_Twisted_Image_.....wtv.
  2. My preferred usage would be (using cmd.exe or similar)

d:
    c:\bat\wtv-metarenamer.ps1 -whatif >> myTVFilesDB.txt
And the output in myTvFilesDB.txt would be

Thriller_WCIUDT3_2013_11_19_01_59_00.wtv <TABChar> Thriller_S3_E5_1960-09-13_The_Twisted_Image_.....wtv.
  1. Using the .bat file as described above, I don't see the the new filename appear anywhere on the cmd.exe screen OR as output in the message
    What if: Performing operation "Output to File" on Target "C:\bat\Log_20131022002302.txt".
Rereading this just now, I see "on Target" C:\bat\Log...."
Is the "on Target" indicate a place where a .wtv filename is expected? If not, then
  1. I'm expected the '-whatif' "translation" output to appear in the c:\bat\Log_...txt, BUT no file exists by the specified name anywhere on my computer.
  2. If the '-whatif' output is supposed to be in that file (C:\bat\Log....txt), I would prefer to have the option to indicate that the "translations"
    appear on the screen, using what in C-language, we can STDOUT or STDERR. Basically just print text to the terminal in a way that it can
    be captured into a new file.
I hope this better defines my use-case, but please feel free to ask questions for further clarification.

Cordially

Neil M
Dec 2, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Hi Phillip
( Dbl sorry!, Had a copy/paste problem while editting that I didnt see, and I didn't see the Preview pane.)

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been on vacation for the last 10 days of Nov, and preparing for it before that. Somehow I missed that you responded.

To rephrase the problem:

x1 I understand that your normal use case is to run wtvmetarenamer on a directory filled with .wtv files, and that your program reads the meta-data stored in the wtv file as well as making calls to external databases to create a new filename for each .wtv file. So that Thriller_WCIUDT3_2013_11_19_01_59_00.wtv becomes (something like) Thriller_S3_E5_1960-09-13_The_Twisted_Image_.....wtv.

x2 My preferred usage would be (using cmd.exe or similar)
    d:
    c:\bat\wtv-metarenamer.ps1 -whatif >> myTVFilesDB.txt
And the output in myTvFilesDB.txt would be
    Thriller_WCIUDT3_2013_11_19_01_59_00.wtv <TABChar> Thriller_S3_E5_1960-09-13_The_Twisted_Image_.....wtv. 
x3 Using the .bat file as described above, I don't see the the new filename appear anywhere on the cmd.exe screen
OR as output in the message
Rereading this just now, I see "on Target" C:\bat\Log...."
Is the "on Target" indicate a place where a .wtv filename is expected?

If not, then ....

x4 I'm expected the '-whatif' "translation" output to appear in the c:\bat\Log_...txt, BUT no file exists by the specified name anywhere on my computer.
If the '-whatif' output is supposed to be in that file (C:\bat\Log....txt), I would prefer to have the option to indicate that the "translations"
appear on the screen, using what in C-language, we can STDOUT or STDERR. Basically just print text to the terminal in a way that it can
be captured into a new file.

I hope this better defines my use-case, but please feel free to ask questions for further clarification.

Cordially

Neil M